12.1 Factor Apps: Dev/Prod Parity
The 12.1 factor app strives for dev/prod parity where practical and eschews it when not. This requires differenating between bounded and unbounded contexts.
The 12.1 factor approach prefers locality over fully integrated environments. Doing so promotes fast and independent iterations on discrete services using automated tests to verify correctness. End-to-End issues that may have been identified with a fully integrated environment with dev/prod parity should be pushed downstream in the deployment pipeline in accordance with test pyramid principles. If a regression is identified, then it may quickly addressed by adding tests to the relevant service’s test suite.
Topics Mentioned in the Show
- The 5 Ideals
- The Unicorn Project
- Practical Test Pyramid
- Hexagonal Architecture
- Team Topologies
- My Talk at WrocLove.rb 2014 on Software Architecture, Object, Roles, and Boundaries
- Bounded Contexts & Domain Driven Design
- Mastering the Third Way of DevOps use the Toyota Kata for continuous improvement
- Free DevOps Course much more detailed than what we can cover in the podcast
- Products over Projects expand flow, feedback, and learning to the entire organization
- The 12 Factor App
- Jay Kutner on the 12 Factor App via SE Radio
- My Review & Analysis on The DevOps Handbook
- My Review & Analysis on Accelerate
- Software Development in 3 Principles & 4 Metrics
Join our newsletter
Transcripts and show notes sent to your inbox.